Friday, January 13, 2012

Short and Sweet....

Hello everyone!

I hope that Friday was a great day for y'all even though it was Friday the 13th. Mine was quite uneventful and I actually took it easy in terms of training today (not because I am superstitious, but rather because I chose to). I went to the YMCA to swim laps today and to check out the facility. I was impressed with the pool and I am also excited that they offer spinning classes in addition to a Master's swim class with a coach. I swam 22 laps (1,100 yards) today in 24 minutes. That is equivalent to more than a 1/2 mile, but less than 3/4 of a mile. I was taking it easy today and giving my hip a bit of a rest. Tomorrow is a different story. I will give you all the update once I complete the activities for the day. It will include 2 other people and possibly a 3rd. Oooohhh.... how the suspense builds!!!!!

I was very thankful for a "resting" day today. I am just now getting back into the swing of things and shocking my body back into training mode. This is the fun time of preparing for such a long event. I am building my base up and this will last for about the next 4 weeks and then it will intensify slightly from weeks 5-7 and then it starts to get serious. The program that I am following has 4 cycles to it. The first cycle is the Orientation phase and this is just getting back into training more than just running a few times a week. This allows me to swim some and bike some along with continuing to run, but all very casually. It lasts about 7 weeks. The second cycle is the pre-season cycle which is tougher than the first cycle, but not nearly as intense as the third cycle. The third cycle is by far the most intense cycle and has the hardest and longest training days. I will really be pushing myself to limits during this phase or at least I should be. The final phase of my training is the two week taper period leading up to the race. This will allow my body to rest up for the race, but still continue a lower amount of training so I will be ready for the big day.

As you all can see this is a gradual building process. As a friend stated today, "Rome was not built in one night". I must remember that and remained focus on each day instead of focusing on the total picture. It is important to know my ultimate goal, but achieve small goals each week leading up to the main goal. I have achieved my goals for this week already. The goal was to get back in the water and get back on the bike. I have done both of those and have two days of training left for this week. I will already give myself a pat on the back because I have accomplished both goals. Congrats Mary!!!! One step closer than you were last week. Keep up the great work for the next two days.

Just so you know, it is important to compliment yourself along the way in training and in life. That is something that I am trying to focusing on through this process instead of just pushing myself to the extremes without rewarding myself. Rewards are a must when attempting something like this and they are a must in life. Well, until next time......Carpe Diem even when it is Saturday!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment