Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bit off more than I was ready to chew!!!

Hey everyone!!! I just thought I would fill you all in on my third day of training.

Whew.....I must say, it challenged me. I got moving a little later than I had anticipated this morning. I am trying to take advantage of these last few days off from classes and train a bit later instead of the lovely 5am or earlier. Those early mornings will come soon enough. Anyway, I left Laurel around 11:00am and started my run around 11:50 or so. I ran for 7.55 miles and averaged a 7.57 pace which means I stopped at exactly an hour of running. After I completed my run I jumped in my car and drove to the Southern Miss Payne Center and swam 18 laps which is the equivalent to a 1/2 mile swim. I did that in about 30 minutes or so. I swam in intervals today because I incorporated a few speed drills with the lap swims. My target was actually to swim 36 laps which would be 1 mile, but I really was not ready to bite off that much in one day. I have started training a few weeks earlier than required mainly because of not having the solid base that I need as well as allowing for some sick days because I know how my allergies are living back in the South. Needless to say, I am glad that I am in the early phases of just preparing my body and mind for training again. I am easing back into it and I will admit that I am already challenged.

The run was absolutely wonderful today. I experienced a ton of wind and that was really challenging, but I must say it was great running more than 5 or 6 miles. I needed that. I had gotten to where it was challenging for me to keep on going beyond the 5 or 6 mile mark. I guess this has something to do with the fact that I was not training for a specific event and now I am. I am always much more motivated once I am focused on an event instead of just running for my sanity which is inclusive of my general well-being. I honestly had a blast running today. I did listen to music on my i-pod and if you were working anywhere near the vicinity of the FGH or U.S.M. you probably heard me trucking along due to my loud singing. It was tons of fun. I felt free!!! It did not matter what people were thinking and most people grinned as they heard music coming from my mouth. I am the worst singer in the world, but absolutely love to sing.

It is a little harder to sing while underwater, but the bubbles are a great tool to meditate on while swimming laps. The hardest part of swimming for me is not the swimming part, but the initial temperature change of jumping into the water. Once I am in the water I am fine, but getting to that point is really hard. It almost hurts my body. It is one thing that I really dread and I know that the ocean will be pretty cold in November, so I need the practice. It really is one of the most disliked parts of training and triathlons personally. I just hate that my breath gets taken away and it hurts my spine!!! Ok, I know, enough complaining about something that minor. I am glad that I had the opportunity to swim laps today (much better in terms of outlook!). The swim was pretty tough following the run. The warm-up was nice and easy, but then as I included a few speed drills into the mix it became pretty tough. I decided that all I needed today was to complete a 1/2 mile instead of a full mile. I realize that I have plenty of time to build especially since I have started early. This is just the first week and I will reach that goal soon enough.

As for today, I am thankful for the wonderful time hitting the pavement and my health. I am also thankful that I had a safe time training and no issues occurred. That is always a blessing. I am also thankful for the accountability that this blog is giving me. It really does push me because I know that I must fill you all in on my day. Thanks for being a part of this journey. May you all have a restful evening and a wonderful Friday!!! TGIF, but training must go on. Until next time, may we all remain healthy, happy, and safe. 

Today's Totals:

Run:
        1:00 hour
        7.55 miles
        7:57 avg./ mile
Swim:
        18 laps
        approximately 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment